Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Update on Ian's art!

As some of you know, my husband is an amazing artist. Truly, he is very talented. When we first started dating, I thought, "Oh great. He has this pipe dream of being an artist, but who really makes a living at selling ART!" Then when we decided to get married, I told him that I would fully support him, but that after two years of him focusing on an art career, if things were not progressing towards him making a career out of it, he would need to find something else to do. Even Wal-Mart. We would have to pay the bills. Ian has always been concerned about allowing his wife to stay at home, so he readily agreed with this decision.

Some of you have asked about his career and how things are going. He has galleries in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Boston. This keeps him VERY busy; basically, as soon as one piece in a gallery sells, the gallery wants to replenish your stock. He is constantly painting. He works a regular 40-hour week and the majority of his time is used painting. A piece was bought that he had done two months ago, and when he looked at the piece to prepare it for shipping, he was quite disturbed by how unprofessional it looks. He said, "I don't realize how much my skill is increasing until I look at something that I did a while ago and then I can hardly look at it. It is just too embarrassing

The gallery in SF is taking his work (4 pieces) to a fair in New York next week. He just finished up an art fair in London that was just a weekend extravaganza. He sold two pieces, the director of the ENTIRE fair said that he enjoyed Ian's work the most out of all the pieces (this is a GIANT compliment!) and Ian also had interest in a commission piece. This is all very exciting. Needless to say, I don't think Wal-Mart will be seeing Ian at any job interviews. I am very proud of him for his hard work and commitment to his career. Somehow, he still balances play, work and spiritual matters very well. He is a great provider and I am very proud of him. You should all look at his website because he really has done some amazing work lately (especially the little girl sitting next to all the sound equipment--I love that one!). www.ianstrawn.com

Niev and Daddy with the same haircut


4 comments:

Brandon and Amber said...

I am truly impressed! Are the walls of your house decorated with his pictures? Did he actually get to go to London? What an exciting life!

Goratrain and Ian-ator said...

The sad thing is that we hardly have any art on our walls. It is kind of like the plumber that always has a leaky faucet in his own house. But we both agree that we need cash flow rather than art on our walls. He personally did not go to London, just his paintings.

The Despain Gang said...

I read your comment on my blog about the adoption website. I tried to call but your phone if OFF! Probably dead right, I know how that is. Anyway, I called Ian and he was away from the house but when he got home he'd have you call me. Anyway, I'm dying to hear your evaluation and suggestions so CALL ME! Love ya tons; great post about Ian. I'm so happy that I have a piece of his to display. I love it and you all! -Melissa :)

Love Sweet Love said...

That's so awesome! I wish we could afford one because they ARE so good!!