Sunday, January 11, 2009

Who's idea was it to have two kids?

Here are a few more pictures of Rowan and I as we left the hospital (and yes, Rowan is strategically placed to cover the many rolls left after a baby has left the womb).

Thought I should update you all on our little, but growing, family. My mom came into town to help out with Rowan when Rowan was born. She was a HUGE help! We hadn't gone grocery shopping in weeks when she arrived, but somehow my mom made some pretty delicious meals with the pathetic amount of food that we did have in the house. She was a life-saver!

Then it was just our little family through Christmas time. I wondered at times if I was insane having more than one child. I think we concluded that Rowan is a bit colicky and we got her some chamomile pills that help soothe her. It was a bit stressful some days with Ian working and Niev and I trying to help calm this crying baby, but luckily Gramma Buh (Ian's mom) came to save the day!

Gramma Buh LOVES Christmas. She lives and dies Christmas. Can't wait for the next Christmas as soon as one Christmas is over. SO, we decided as a surprise/present to Gramma Buh that we would postpone our Christmas until Gramma Buh arrived (of course we had to get special permission from the big Claus himself first). Ian was very excited about doing this. He almost blew it because he kept calling her as she was driving from Portland to see where they were at. It was great to see her shock and excitement at this idea when she arrived. (More on Christmas later!)

Niev has adjusted to the baby much better than I ever imagined. She loves to give her kisses (on the lips only) and hugs (more like huge body slams). She asks to hold the baby ("Hold you me, baby") and loves when I pump so she can feed the baby herself. Whenever I am feeding the baby, I have to keep my ears open for what Niev is doing. I have documented with pictures a few of the things that she has done while mom is feeding Rowan:

Lots of coloring!

A bit of cooking!

Some tears of joy!

But a LOT of cuddling her little sister!
She also got into my tub of oil and dumped five spoons and two batteries in the huge tub. I'm just glad she didn't end up spilling it on our carpet (who has ever heard of high-pile carpet in a kitchen!).

We are slowly adjusting to no sleep, consistent crying and no time alone and quiet, but as of right now, we wouldn't change it for the world! (But ask me again in a few more weeks of no sleep and maybe the answer will be different.)

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Rowan is adorable! Hang in there- it will get better (it has to right?)!

Maria said...

We can all empathize. I love Niev's coloring job. You look great and I'm sure you're a fabulous mom. See you soon!

Love Sweet Love said...

Seriously, who's idea was it to have two?! I'm going crazy and really wish somebody would have told me 2 was this hard because I really was coming into this thinking it was going to be as easy as it was with Tyler. I feel like I'm losing my mind and am so glad I'm not the only one! I wish we lived closer so we could spend our crazy days together so I wouldn't feel so alone in all this! Rowan is beautiful and I think she looks SO much like Niev-lucky girl! Miss you-maybe we should try to get together sometime this summer??-I mean you have to come visit Melissa sometime right? (or I guess we could make the trek up there :) )

Jen said...

You are freaking me out Lora! I'm so nervous about having our next one. It's like a count down to "D Day" in our house. I really don't think pregnancy lasts long enough! Rowan is so cute and I feel so dumb that we have yet to come over and pay you a visit! We were gone for a while though.

Aileena said...

My goodness your hair is long, catching up with your growing family. All very cute photos. Good luck with everything. We miss you

Erin said...

rowan is gorgeous! giiiiiirl....good luck with being the mom of 2! if you move to NY i'll help you....

The Despain Gang said...

You're a great mommy and have adjusted well to the new chaos. Keep us posted. Miss her already! Great to see you all.

Alan & Connie Weber said...

Oh...I died laughing when I saw Niev's artwork on the fridge! Did it come off? You are amazing! Niev is so sharp and that is evident to the amount of time you spend with her! Hang in there...this too shall pass!

Katie C said...

Rowan is just beautiful. Definitely fun with two, huh? I'm sure Niev is a wonderful older sister.